26 replies to this topic

#1 wide right

wide right

Spectator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:21 PM

Who was the best Devils bowl regular driver ?.Shady Mcwhorter, Johnny Suggs ,Bobby Marshall, Steve Perry, Bill Thrasher,or one of the other really good drivers that ran there regularly.

#2 racerx

racerx

Spectator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (wide right @ Jan 13 2008, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who was the best Devils bowl regular driver ?.Shady Mcwhorter, Johnny Suggs ,Bobby Marshall, Steve Perry, Bill Thrasher,or one of the other really good drivers that ran there regularly.

#3 racerx

racerx

Spectator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

All of those were outstanding drivers but wasn't Ronnie Burke SR a Devils Bowl 'regular' for a number of years...as I recall he was very competitve there on a very limited budget...he should be in the mix when asking this question...

#4 rookie

rookie

Crew Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:00 AM

No. He he ran there only occasionally and never with the success of many other drivers.

#5 tx33

tx33

State Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

How about James McElreath and Dale Looper -

#6 rookie

rookie

Crew Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

Yes James and Dale were both out standing drivers. Many of the bowl drivers were as good as anyone, anywhere in the country.

#7 emsa91

emsa91

Pit Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:15 PM

in mid to late 80s there was marc maddison ,ed french and richard summers

#8 FMJr.

FMJr.

Spectator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sprint car racing,prefer wingless but still like winged cars. Love motorcycles,former moto cross rider (got too old,ran out of money).Might start street riding and vintage moto crossing.Enjoy watching flattrack motorcycle racing or any motorcycle racing for that matter.Building computers,I can build them better than use them.

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

First let me say you have areally good site here.Brought back many great memories.Some good drivers have been named
so I thought I would add Frank Matthews and A.D. Trowell.

#9 rookie

rookie

Crew Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (FMJr. @ Feb 25 2008, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First let me say you have areally good site here.Brought back many great memories.Some good drivers have been named
so I thought I would add Frank Matthews and A.D. Trowell.

Yes.thanks FMJr for the names. I wonder how many out there have been to the old Devils Bowl . I was there one time and it was a really interesting track.

#10 wide right

wide right

Spectator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (rookie @ Feb 26 2008, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes.thanks FMJr for the names. I wonder how many out there have been to the old Devils Bowl . I was there one time and it was a really interesting track.

I wish someone would print some photos of the cars and drivers from the old and new Bowl. That is a part of racing history that many of us would like to see and know about. I'm not familiar with Mathews and Trowll They maybe before my time. What type of cars and when did they run?

#11 FMJr.

FMJr.

Spectator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sprint car racing,prefer wingless but still like winged cars. Love motorcycles,former moto cross rider (got too old,ran out of money).Might start street riding and vintage moto crossing.Enjoy watching flattrack motorcycle racing or any motorcycle racing for that matter.Building computers,I can build them better than use them.

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

The cars in the 1950's I believe were mostly modified Fords (roadsters and such).Since I was born in 1957 I am not any kind
of authority on the 1950's,to concerned with tricycles and things like that.In the 1960's the cars started to evolve into super
modifieds i.e. much smaller bodies,fuel injection replaced carburators,in/out boxes replaced clutches and transmissions,quick change rear ends replaced regular type rear ends,all the while the cars were getting much lighter.By 1967 most Devils Bowl cars were Sprints with roll cages.The IMCA held a race that year at Devil's Bowl on Saturday and Shervport on Sunday.Billy Jack Casper won on Sunday,another good Devil's Bowl regular,unfortunatlely he would not live much longer.Most the Devil's Bowl cars ran after removing the roll cages since the IMCA did not allow cages,nor did the CRA,I think USAC allowed them but nobody used them then.

The old Devil's bowl was a formitable place.Built by former pro wresler Roy Carter in a former rock quarey the start/finish line was white rock that you really did not want to hit.Both straights were significanty higher than both turns with turn 3 really dropping off.It was an oval not a D shape.It was black/brown dirt vs. the yellow clay at the preasant location.Out of towners usually had fits with it.I think 1965 was it for the Bowl, since poeple moved next to a race track and did'nt like the noise,they sure heard some horns as we left the last time.Roy rebuilt at the preasant site only the back straight was in the pit area i.e. l o n g straights and short turns.In a word POOR!The next year it changed to today's configuration.

If I highjacked the thread I am sorry.Pictures will follow in a few days.I hope.
FMJr.

#12 tx33

tx33

State Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (FMJr. @ Feb 26 2008, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The cars in the 1950's I believe were mostly modified Fords (roadsters and such).Since I was born in 1957 I am not any kind
of authority on the 1950's,to concerned with tricycles and things like that.In the 1960's the cars started to evolve into super
modifieds i.e. much smaller bodies,fuel injection replaced carburators,in/out boxes replaced clutches and transmissions,quick change rear ends replaced regular type rear ends,all the while the cars were getting much lighter.By 1967 most Devils Bowl cars were Sprints with roll cages.The IMCA held a race that year at Devil's Bowl on Saturday and Shervport on Sunday.Billy Jack Casper won on Sunday,another good Devil's Bowl regular,unfortunatlely he would not live much longer.Most the Devil's Bowl cars ran after removing the roll cages since the IMCA did not allow cages,nor did the CRA,I think USAC allowed them but nobody used them then.

The old Devil's bowl was a formitable place.Built by former pro wresler Roy Carter in a former rock quarey the start/finish line was white rock that you really did not want to hit.Both straights were significanty higher than both turns with turn 3 really dropping off.It was an oval not a D shape.It was black/brown dirt vs. the yellow clay at the preasant location.Out of towners usually had fits with it.I think 1965 was it for the Bowl, since poeple moved next to a race track and did'nt like the noise,they sure heard some horns as we left the last time.Roy rebuilt at the preasant site only the back straight was in the pit area i.e. l o n g straights and short turns.In a word POOR!The next year it changed to today's configuration.

If I highjacked the thread I am sorry.Pictures will follow in a few days.I hope.
FMJr.

The old Devils Bowl was a really strange joint. We (I was a stooge for Ace Haas) ran midgets there a couple of times. I spent most of the night changing gears in Haas' two cars - never found a gear that would work. I don't remember who won, I just remember my burned hands and smelling like gear grease -

#13 rookie

rookie

Crew Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (FMJr. @ Feb 26 2008, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FMJr.

Thanks FMJr. A great post. I'm looking forward to the photos. I do remember one of the corners had a rock wall on the inside as well as the outside. A driver could not see very far ahead but they had to stand on the gas anyway or get passed.

#14 rookie

rookie

Crew Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (tx33 @ Feb 27 2008, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The old Devils Bowl was a really strange joint. We (I was a stooge for Ace Haas) ran midgets there a couple of times. I spent most of the night changing gears in Haas' two cars - never found a gear that would work. I don't remember who won, I just remember my burned hands and smelling like gear grease -

Hey Tex 33 the big gear goes on top, unless you have a really fast push truck.

#15 texastracker

texastracker

Spectator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:23 AM

I have to place my bid on Gary Wright, all ready being named a "Hall of Fame Shoe" and still kicking butt and especially at the Bowl. The others named in the artical as the "Cream of the Crop" are also worth being named on this thread as well.

I will post article later, needs resizing.

PS. What about a man named Bob Ewell? I have not seen his named mentioned.

Attached File  db_cream.jpg   106.97K   8 downloads

#16 rookie

rookie

Crew Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

Bob Ewell was and still is a real good driver. I don't go to the bowl regularly now but I heard he won there year before last. As far as Gary Wright goes, who can argue with the number of wins and championships he has? He has won on lots of different tracks, different associations, in different states, and under different rules. And he has done so for a long time.

#17 Jerry Foster

Jerry Foster

Spectator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

New guy here.......old geezer who first went to the old Bowl in 1958. If you go to the Devil's Bowl website, there is a video of a daytime show at the old location. The video features A D Trowell. You can see the rock wall that juts out near the start/finish line. Speaking of the best drivers.....seemed like a lot of guys had their "big year" at the old location. For instance, one year Frank Riley was the man to beat. Then there was "grandpa" Jerry Crocker one year. Sonny Johnson, Frank Matthews, Billy Jack Casper, etc. I didn't include Roy Miller or Shady in the above lineup, because they were longtime winners....not just one hot year. During my visits there, from 58 until the relocation to Mesquite....everybody ran either a small block Chevy, or the unlikely "Red Ram Dodge" engines. The Dodge engine was just a small Hemi, and approximately one fourth of the cars ran that engine until about 1960, when they all went SBC. As for the newer drivers to go big time, I agree that Gary Wright and James McElreath were probably the best, but Bobby Marshall was right there with them. Bobby was very active in the early to mid eighties, and won races all over the country, including a second place finish at Knoxville, behind Steve Kinser. With our new crop of ASCS sprint car guys, it is amazing how many of the DFW guys are doing well both in the Lone Star Division, and the National Division. Enough for now. Great forum here.......keep it going. Jerry

#18 txracinfireman

txracinfireman

National Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

All named were greats. BUT, Shady, James McElreath, and David James were the one's to beat in the 70's. I think James was best of the best! And the McElreath cars were the best for the time.

#19 Jerry Foster

Jerry Foster

Spectator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:21 AM

The first time I attended the old Devil's Bowl, the first generation of Wright's were driving. Grady Wright (I believe Gary's dad) and Tony Wright (Gary's uncle.) It's funny how many sons of drivers carry on the tradition. Kinsers, Swindells, Hoods, Saldanas, etc. Guess I'm showing my age, but it seems to be OK. Jerry

#20 tex44

tex44

National Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:caus'in as much hell as I can

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:25 AM

Welcome to TexasOpenWheel Jerry, we appreciate your input. Make yourself at home and enjoy.